Technology Transfer and Development Directorate
Name of Core Directorate/Supportive Process:
- Technology Transfer and Development Directorate
Technology Transfer and Development Directorate is one of the core processes formed in Ministry of Science & Technology in 2010. The role of this directorate is to promote technology transfer and to enhance the development of the country. Priority technology transfer and development sectors under the directorate are:-
- Agro processing
- Chemical and pharmaceutical
- Information technology & Electronics
Technology transfer and development can be done through different mechanisms. The main channels of transferring technology includes are Foreign direct investment (FDI), import of Licensing, consultancy, technical agreement, turnkey plant and project contracts, as well as trade in capital goods such as machinery tools and instruments.
The Directorate, as one of the Core processes of Ministry Science and Technology, has its own objectives and several duties. The directorate has the responsibility to achieve the following STI policy strategies:-
- Import effective and appropriate foreign technologies and create capabilities of adaptation and utilization of these technologies in manufacturing and service providing enterprises;
- Promote the development of domestic technological capabilities for the effective absorption of foreign technologies;
- Establish and implement a system to search, select, adapt, utilize as well as dispose imported technologies;
- Establish and implement a system to use foreign direct investment (FDI) and other ways of supporting technology transfer;
- Strengthen technology transfer among and between various manufacturing and service providing enterprises;
- Strengthen wide use of intellectual propriety, standards and other related information in support of technology transfer;
- Establish a system that integrates and energizes technology transfer issues among Universities, Research institutes, TVET institutions and Industry;
- Support and strengthen the established linkages of Universities, Research institutes, TVET institutions and Industry.
- To establish a system of technology transfer and development for learning, adapting and utilizing as well as disposing of imported technologies in order to meet national demand.
- To establish the system that can be effectively implemented in technology transfer and development on the basis of significant benchmarks of different countries.
In cooperation with stake holders the directorate has the responsibility to establish a system, monitor & evaluate the following duties & responsibilities.
- Technology need assessment & analysis
- Granting applied researches
- Strengthen the university, Research TEVT institutions and industry linkage
- Encouraging the indigenous innovation works
- Providing significant information about technology transfer.
- Providing technology profile.
- Supporting researchers financially to undertake demand driven and problem solving applied /adaptive/research in prioritized areas that could strongly enhance Ethiopia's development and economy.
- Financial support to move technologies from LAB to market.
- Approve Bio-medical research protocols according to the National Ethics Review Guideline.
- Validate different technological profiles for their appropriate use by the end user.
Important stake holders
- Industries and Industry Development Institutes under different Ministries
- Research Centers & Higher Institutions
- Private Organizations
Director, Technology Transfer and Development Directorate
P.O. Box: 2490