Ethiopian Standards Agency
Ethiopian Standard Agency (ESA) is a governmental non-profitable organization and the sole National Standards Body (NSB) which represents Ethiopian interest in economical, social and environmental aspects with regard to standard benefits across International and regional Arena. Besides working with international and Regional standard bodies, ESA also work closely with different national standard bodies under bilateral agreements.
Ethiopian Standard Body has undergone several structural and name changes since its first birth back in 1970, and ESA was established as per the latest restructuring, as per Ethiopian Council of Minister Regulation No. 193/2010, which caused the splitting of former Quality and Standards Authority of Ethiopia (QSAE) into four including the new national standards body (NSB) – Ethiopian Standards Agency (ESA), Ethiopian Conformity Assessment Enterprise, Ethiopian Metrology Institute and Ethiopian Accreditation Bureau.
Ethiopian Standard Agency (ESA) is a governmental agency which is accountable to Ministry of Science and Technology, and has a National Standardization council which work together with the agency, the member of the council is drawn from appropriate Governmental and Other bodies and designated by the government.
Ethiopian standards agency has three core business areas which mainly focus on the standard formulation, training and Technical support and organizing and disseminating standards, Conformity assessment procedures and Technical regulation for the customers.
The Primary Functions of ESA are:
- To lead and coordinate national standardization;
- To confirm and publish the national Ethiopian Standards;
- To promote the implementation of standards;
- To Promote Ethiopian Standard Mark and authorize its use;
- To represent Ethiopia in the International Standards Organization and work in collaboration with other foreign national standard bodies;
- To establishes National Inquiry Point and deliver services on Standardization, Conformity Assessment Guidelines and Technical Regulation;
- To enable Ethiopian industries to benefit from technology transfer by providing Technical Support, Trainings and Consultancy Services and assisting them in implementation of standards.
For more information please visit: www.ethiostandards.org