Ethiopian National Accreditation Office
ENAO was established as an autonomous federal government office having its own legal personality. The mandate of ENAO is to accredit, by formal third-party recognition, the competence of Conformity Assessment Bodies (CABs) to perform specific activities, such as test, calibrations, certifications or inspections.
As the national accreditation body, ENAO will:
- Supply accreditation services to laboratories (test and calibration), certification bodies and inspection bodies, both domestic and foreign, that operate both within the borders of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia and outside its borders in countries where either no national accreditation body exists or where the national body lacks the capability to accredit in a specific field;
- Supply accreditation services in accordance with the requirements of ISO/IEC 17011, Conformity Assessment – General requirements for accreditation bodies accrediting conformity assessment bodies;
- Establish an accreditation symbol which may be used by accredited organizations in accordance with ENAO requirements;
- Conduct surveillance assessments on accredited organizations;
- Maintain and publicize directories of accredited, suspended and revoked organizations;
- Ensure that relevant regulatory bodies are informed of updates regarding accreditation status of ENAO accredited organizations;
- Cooperate with relevant stakeholders to develop and integrated and internationally recognized quality infrastructure wherein accredited organizations services are recognized globally;
- Develop accreditation services that promote, develop and maintain good regulatory practices;
- Represent Ethiopia's interests in international forums concerning accreditation and maintain bilateral and multilateral agreements in relation to accreditation;
- Supply accreditation related training services in order to maintain a high level of assessor competency;
- Perform other related activities which are necessary for the achievement of its objectives; and
- Seek to reach globally accepted mutual recognition of the validity of certificates/reports issued by its accredited Laboratories, Inspection Bodies and Certification Bodies.
The focus of its activities will ensure that the key sectors of Textiles, Construction, Leather, Argo-processing, Pharmaceutical/Chemical and Manufacturing which have been identified for accelerated development will be serviced. ENAO will therefore focus on these sectors and others as the demand grows in line with economic development.
ENAO's mission is to provide an internationally recognized, cost-effective, national accreditation service within the borders of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia which is aimed at:
- Supporting the credibility of the National Quality Infrastructure of Ethiopia;
- Supporting regional and international trade;
- Enhancing the protection of consumers; and
- Improve the competitiveness of Ethiopian produced products and services, in both the voluntary and regulatory areas.
- The Ethiopian National Accreditation Office's vision is to be identified as a leading example where the credibility of an internationally recognized accreditation body plays a critical role in support of the National Quality Infrastructure (NQI) and in so doing increases economic development and reduces poverty within Ethiopia.
For more information please visit: www.enao-eth.org