Science and Technology Universities and Institutions Affairs Directorate
Science and Technology Universities and Institutions Affairs in the ministry is a newly organized office with special focus of duties related to the academic and research related issues of the science and technology Universities and Institutions reporting to the ministry. It is led by a director general and two directors namely, academic and research affairs director and administrations affairs.
Projects and Programs:
- Establishments of 16 Centers of Excellences in the two science and Technology Universities (STUs)
Centers of Excellences (CoEs) in Addis Ababa Science and Technology University (AASTU)
- Biotechnology and Bio processing
- Sustainable Energy
- High Performance Computing and Big Data Analyses
- Construction Quality and Technology
- Artificial Intelligence and Robotics
- Reactor Technology
- Mineral Exploration, Extraction and Processing
Centers of Excellences (CoEs) in Adama Science and Technology University (ASTU)
- Space Technology Center.
- Pharmaceutical Science.
- Water Resource and Irrigation Engineering.
- Advanced Materials Science and Engineering.
- Transportation and Vehicle Engineering.
- Advanced Manufacturing Engineering.
- Electrical Power, Control, and Communication Engineering.
- Urban Housing and Development.
- Launching of Massive PhD training programs in the two STUs for staff development strategy at home .
- Joint Post graduate programs with different partners abroad .
- “Betre-Science” Ethiopia.
"BETRE SCIENCE" SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
The world economic development indicates clearly showed that without educated and skilled man power, it is impossible to bring sustainable economic development and social change. Human resource capacity building is a key issue for the intended economic growth and poverty eradication from any nation.
The basic difference among nations in their development status arises from the ability of science and technology adaptation and innovation which demarcates developed and under developed .Quality and adequate human resource in science and technology areas is a must for Ethiopia to sustainably prosper.
The major challenges in science and technology sector in Ethiopia has been the low status of use of skilled manpower in the country’s economic sectors, the problem solving abilities and low competitiveness of technology transfer institutes in the international arena, lack of technology of science and technology importing and technology information among others.
The aforementioned and other related bottle necks are threats for the country’s science and technology advancement up to the expectations. Therefore, ‘’Betre-Science’’ Ethiopia science and technology scholarship
Program is incepted to address the challenges. For this to effect, real situation analyses in the sector and devising mitigating strategies and directions should be considered.
Ethiopia has been training its citizens by sending abroad to different countries (mainly to India by MOE) in addition to home grown undergraduate and post graduates programs in the ever increasing number of Universities of the country. The contribution of such scholarship programs is undeniable though Ethiopia is one of the African countries sending the least number of students abroad.
1.EXPERIENCES FROM OTHER COUNTRIES
Brazil, China, Egypt, and Kazakhstan design and implemented similar scholarship schemes to send and train their citizens in science and technology areas all over the world. Currently, the trained people come back home and serve their respective nation in their professions and help the countries’ economic, social and political development. The experiences of these countries share the following common issues during their plans and executions.
- Lead by higher government body
- Cost sharing should be considered
- Responsible administrative body should be formed
- Identification of hosting universities and determining proportions of levels of studies
- Uniform announcement, screening and selection frameworks should be developed.
- Rights and obligation of ‘’Betre-Science’’ scholarship beneficiaries clearly articulated
- Impact analyses should be done
- All these necessary preparations have already been done accordingly
2.‘’BETRE-SCIENCE’’ ETHIOPIA SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM STRATEGIC DIRECTIONS.
‘’Betre Science’’ Ethiopia will also play a significant role in improving education quality in higher education institutions. For undergraduate scholarship students to be eligible for ‘’Betre-Science’’ Ethiopia are expected to have top performances in their first semester University stay. This creates competition and hard work among all students to get the scholarship. The same scenario holds true for MSc and PhD applicants where project writing skills and their selection.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinating academic and research activities in Science and Technology Universities
- Planning, leading, supporting staff development in science and technology universities
- Ensuring academic quality in science and technology universities
- Closely support, follow, monitor and evaluate applied researches and technology transfer activities in science and technology universities and institutions
- Rendering the directorates’ activities in the ministry