To see Ethiopia entrench the capacities which enable rapid learning, adaptation and utilization of effective foreign technologies by the year 2022/23.
Coordinating, encouraging and supporting science and technology activities that realize the country's social and economic developmen
About the Ministry
Strengthening the science, technolog and innovation sector is essential to accelerate the rapid and sustainable growth of our country. The scale of the sector will enable the economy of the industry to be economically viable and efficient as a leader in the industry. Thus, the Council of Ministers was approved in 2004 by the Science, Technology and Innovation Policy that helps to make the transition process more successful and efficient in a short time.
The science and technology information center Establishment of the Science and Technology Information Center Establishment Proclamation No. 257/2004 The Institute seeks science and technology information, disseminating information on science, technology and innovation in the country. By collecting, selecting, organizing, analyzing and evaluating the value of research,
Technology has been accelerated. In addition, the country has been tasked to ensure competitiveness of the key industries, service providers, researchers, educational institutions and training institutions that are able to use the science and technology information to transform structural and technological change into science and technology.
History of the Ministry
Ministry of Science and Technology (MoST) is a governmental institution that established for the first time in December 1975 by proclamation No.62/1975 as a commission. Following the change in government in 1991 and with the issuance of the new economic policy, the Commission was re-established in March 1994 by Proclamation No.91/94. The commission went into its 3rd phase of re-institution on the 24th of August 1995 by Proclamation No.7/1995, following the establishment of Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia as an Agency.
Later on, in 2008 the government upgraded the Agency as one of the Cabinet ministries accountable to the prime minister and the council of ministers by the proclamation No. 604/2008 and reestablished recently too in October 2010 according to definition of powers and duties of the executive organs of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia proclamation No. 691/2010.
Power and Duties
The ministry of Science and Technology shall have the following powers and duties according to definition of powers and duties of the executive organs of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia proclamation No. 691/2010:-
- Prepare national science and technology research and development programs based on the country's development priorities, and upon approval by the government, provide necessary support for their implementation; follow up and evaluate same;
- In cooperation with the concerned bodies, establish a system for technology need assessment, identification, acquisition, packaging, utilization and disposal, and follow up the implementation of the same;
- Register technology transfers made in every sector, coordinate codification and technology capability accumulation efforts, and ensure successive use of same;
- Coordinate science and technology development activities and national research programs; ensure that research activities are conducted in line with the country's development needs;
- Organize science, technology and innovation database, compile information, set national standards for information management, prepare and ensure the application of science and technology innovation indicators;
- Facilitate interaction and collaboration among government and private higher education and research institutions and industries with a view to ensure research and technological development;
- Prepare and follow up the implementation of the country's long – term human resource development plans in the field of science, technology and innovation; cooperate with the concerned organs to ensure that the countries educational curricula focus on development of science and technology;
- Facilitate capacity building of public and private sector institutions and professionals involved in science and technological activities;
- Establish and implement a system for granting prizes and incentives to individuals and institutions who have contributed to the advancement of science, technology and innovations;
- Establish, coordinate and support councils that facilitate the coordination of research activities;
- Encourage and support professional associations and academies that may contribute to the development of science and technology.